View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress
Tee: What a lot of nonsense!

Anybody can call a swing - from anywhere. It's the close, maybe yes, maybe no, swing that needs an angle, perspective.
And there's your guideline for making the call - if it's an obvious swing, then whoop, there it is, yes he went. Anything else, any doubt at all, then no, he didn't go.

Surprising though it may be, this is happening on high school and summer league fields every day, everywhere (perhaps with the exception of the Rio Grande Valley) without incident. The only problems occur in those increasingly rare occasions in which some dinosaur comes running out screaming about how you can't make that call and everybody knows that.

Quote:
Good Lord. I suggest that the pick-off at first is easier to call from C because the umpire can get a better angle. Everybody goes ballistic.

I suggest there's no angle. Three big dogs goes ballistic.

Amazing!
I appreciate the compliment, but I don't think anybody (at least nobody on my side of the argument) is going ballistic.

You didn't reply to my question about the PBUC position on this issue. Do you disagree that the statement I cited clearly provides for the possibility of an umpire going for help to the third base umpire when he's in C position? Can you tell me where there is documented support for your claim that PBUC instructs its umpires to NEVER go to a partner in B or C position for help on a checked swing?