View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress
High pitch, catcher jumps up, batter swings, but the PU doesn't see it because of the catcher. Easy: Yes, he went.
Easy for whom - PU or BU? That's exactly the call that caused the one and only significant argument I had with a high school coach this year, and the ferocity of the argument was DIRECTLY attributable to the coach's endorsement of the myth that a BU in C "can't see that."

I agree with Rich, if you are perpetuating that myth, you should revisit your position on the issue.

Quote:
What you cannot when you're in C tell is whether a batter checked his swing. You know that, every good umpikre knows that. PBUC knows that: In a three-man crew, the "Did he go?" is asked of the umpire on the line, regardless of handedness. PBUC, unlike Fronhesier, doesn't want an umpire in the infield ruling on half swings.
That's something of a copout. We're talking two-man crews, not the PBUC standard 3-man crew mechanic. Beyond that, where do you get the idea that PBUC says the appropriate umpire is ALWAYS the umpire on the line? My copy of the PBUC Manual doesn't say that at all; it says, instead:

If the crew is working with three umpires, the plate umpire shall always ask for help from the first base umpire with a right-handed batter at bat and shall ask for help from the third base umpire with a left-handed batter at bat.

If the batter is lefthanded, you go to the third base umpire. If there's an R1, then that third base umpire is going to be in C position.