View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 09, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if its a good idea, game management wise, but these sorts of idiotic comments demand further questioning.

"What exactly should I do about them tipping the ball, coach?"

"What signal should I use when I stop them from doing that?"

I'm sure there are a few more.

I had this coach at a camp a couple of months ago that wanted his team to foul late to stop the clock. So he yelled, "foul." No problem, except the only guy that did anything about it was 3/4 of a court away from the ball and just grabbed an opponent -- right in front of me. So, I call an intentional foul, report it, and the coach of the offending team tells me that I need to read the rule book. I didn't argue, but rather asked him specifically what the rule book said that was in conflict with what I did. He said, "oh, forget it," but I pressed: "no, coach, you brought it up; what does the book say specifically about that situation?" Predictably, he didn't answer.

He didn't answer and was thoroughly embarrassed in front of his players. I don't recommend doing this -- even in summer league/camps where these coaches are about as real as 3 dollar bills -- and would never do it during a real game but sometimes the well worded question back the coach off completely.