View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder

I wonder if 'volunteer' (or low pay) umpire programs every where have problems with the quality of their umpires.

I was asked to work the plate for a Pony game (paid $30) by a friend (obviously not a good friend). I was warned that my partner would be a ‘new’ kid that they wanted me to help out. My partner showed up about 5 minutes before the start of the game. He was wearing shorts, t-shirt, hat backwards & running shoes w/no socks. He also umpired as well as he looked. I guess you have to settle for what you can get.

I found that coach’s that have umpires of limited experience and ability tended to push the umpires around. Since the umpires have no idea what they are doing it makes for an ‘interesting’ game. When an experienced umpire comes along they some times face an abundance of BS. In the game referenced above I had a coach come up to me before the game and asked “How long you been umping?” My reply was “almost 30 years, that’s probably longer than you’ve been alive”. He smiled….. no problems with him the entire game.