View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hi Jim,

Just a quick pointer first.

In Fed ball, by definition, teams shoot on their own basket. So in your account above, when Team B obtained the ball in their frontcourt, and "went the wrong way towards their basket", they were actually going towards A's basket. It still appears that B did obtain possession in their frontcourt (FC), but when they crossed the division line, they are now heading towards A's basket. When the B player went back into his FC, they are now heading towards their basket.

Your P is correct - it is too late to call an over-and-back violation. It is not a correctable error. It is just a missed call. In fact, it was probably too late about a second or three after it happened. Given that it's middle school, I suppose you could have a longer delayed whistle and still make this call, when B did violate.

After the game was stopped with A securing the rebound, it was correct to give A the ball, as that was the point of interruption.

That's a good item to work into your game - to catch those over-and-backs that occur on the jump ball.

I don't think you could have done anything differently, except that you have a few seconds to make this call after it happened, imo, since it is middle school. If B scored, then I think there is nothing you can do.