View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf
Seriously Folks,

The officiating where I live has gotten to the point where it's really, really bad. Is there anything a parent/coach can do about it or do we just have to learn to tolerate it?

I know officials are people too, and it's a tough job, but they ARE being paid. We coaches are working for nothing. This past AAU season, it just seemed like the officiating was worse than ever. So far, summer league has been no better.
During the summer and AAU seasons, most officials that normally would work those levels are not working. When you expect officials to work 4 games in a row and pay less than half of what officials would make in a regular season game, you get what you pay for often.

Quote:
I'll never forget the game where the one official showed up 30 minutes late. We had scored and the ball was rolling around on the court. So one of our guys picked it up and handed it to their in-bounder. The late official blew his whistle and called us for delay of game. We learned a lesson there, but, I mean, come on, the kid's heart was in the right place. He was just trying to help.
I cannot speak for why an official was late, other than to say that during the summer there are all kinds of scheduling mix ups and conflicts that happen. For all you know this official might not have been the scheduled official on the game. He might have been told to fill in the game at the last minute. As stated before, you get what you pay for.

Quote:
One of my main pet peeves is the refusal of officials to enforce the written rules of the game. I know there's this whole "No harm, no foul" movement, but is it too much too expect officials to enforce the rules as written?

I don't understand why there is any interpretation allowed. It seems like, in any area of life, if you allow individuals to make their own interpretations of rules, all control goes right out the window.

Why, then, do some officials, for example, allow reaches, hand-checks, push-offs, etc. and some not. Why do some call travel on the first step without dribble and others on the second?
The fact that you complained about officials not calling a "reach" tells me everything I need to know about you. One thing there is no such thing as a "reach" in the rulebook. There is no such rule or no rule is based on any kind of "reaching" as a foul. Now if you do not know that a "reach" is not an actual foul, then how are you going to be critical of officials not applying the rules properly or to the letter of the rules (your words not mine) and applying their own interpretations?

Quote:
Maybe it's not as wide spread everywhere as it is in District 11, but it sure is bad here. Is it because PIAA is not adequately policing and evaluating their officials?

What can coaches, parents, and fans do about it? What is the right approach?
What you could do is either join the officiating ranks or actually pick up a rulebook and casebook and figure out what the rules actually are. Also you need to understand that rules are almost never to be applied in a black and white way. If it were, you would probably be critical that the officials called way too much.

Peace