View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I can understand. The umpires were there to do a double header, not to waste their day there. The teams are playing on the field rather than getting the field in shape. It's obvious that they don't care enough to make the field right for play, so why waste in entire day hanging around while they play a pickup game? The umpires will still not agree to the field and then the teams will argue that they just played a game there.
They were offered the 2nd game fee if they would just stay until the scheduled start time of the second game on the chance it could be played. He said the "sun was their best friend" so maybe the field was drying. They were assigned to do two games.

In my association, we don't even get a rainout fee, and I can guarantee you we would be expected to be there for the start of the second game, instead of deciding *ourselves* ahead of time that the field was not going to be playable.

Two game fees for hanging around in the vicinity of a ball field sounds like more than a breakeven day to me; certainly nowhere near a "waste of time."