View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Double Header Insomnia

Here's what I had today...

Noon and after double header. 16 AAU. Team from Philly up here to CT to play a team from the area. We get to the field at noon, and the field is unplayable (big storm last night).

They are working on it some, but don't really have the resources neccessary to get it better (other than the sun, which was their best friend). We come back at 12:15 and the field is no better, they tell us that they will work hard on it, they really want to play since this team is from so far away. Partner and I decide that we will come back to the field at 1:00, final decision.

We get back, and the field is still unplayable, but the teams are playing a pick-up game with the coaches umpiring. We approach the home coach, and say "Whats the deal coach", and he says that they are just playing a pickup game. We say that the field is still unplayable, and that we will be leaving now, and not back for the "second game". It was clear they made little attempt to get the field playable, at least to our standards.

The Philly coach is pretty upset, seems really upset with our percieved "laziness" . The home coach asks if we can stick around for the start of the 2nd game, and we will recieve 2 games pay, as opposed to the one we were getting if we walked off right away. Not knowing how to reply, I informed him that we would go call our assignor, and whatever he wanted we would do.

We didn't get a hold of him, so we decided to go back down to the field and inform the coaches we were leaving, collected 1 game fee each, and left.

So my question is, did I wait around too long? Not long enough? My partner made the point that we can't set precedent by waiting all day as a favor, because the next ump that comes to do one of their games may not feel the same way. Thoughts? Did I do ok?