View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 26, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP

I just needed lots of convincing in my mind, as it still seems to me, in some respect, that the statement I quoted from the Casebook play could/perhaps should be applied to more situations than simply the tag-up play it's being related to, as the ruling doesn't clarify itself by saying anything to the effect of "when runners are tagging up on fly balls" or offering any other clarifier.

It would be nice if this (using words typically used by an umpire) was laid out as either USC or OBS in type somewhere, specifically, for me. (I'm seeing a reoccurring theme with myself and what I want out of the rule/casebook. )

I'll take your word(s) on the subject. Just seems odd to me now. I'll give it time.

Thank you.
You can't cover every single situation in the casebook. I just don't see how you could not see this as obstruction. A player on the defense yelling "Foul" on a ball hit right down the line is akin to a basketball coach pulling out a whistle and blowing it as the other team is on a breakaway. Now, I've read the basektball rulebook and I don't remember it ever saying that a coach couldn't do this, but I'm pretty sure if it happend there would be consequences.