View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 05:02pm
(Something hilarious)

That makes sense.

And I searched the other discussions of verbal obstruction on the forum, and found the following from Mr. Rowe a while back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
B1 hits a high fly ball down the LF line and takes off. As he rounds 1B, the catcher scream "foul ball" while the umpire is pointing fair. B1 checks up and heads back to the plate as 1B coach is screaming for him to go to 2B.

As an umpire, I'm protecting that runner at least between 1B & 2B. Depending on the situation, I may keep him at 1B or award him 2B. There are probably a few umpires that would move him to 3B as an FYC for the catcher's stupidity. I cannot do that, my brain will not let me.
- and that makes sense as well.

I just needed lots of convincing in my mind, as it still seems to me, in some respect, that the statement I quoted from the Casebook play could/perhaps should be applied to more situations than simply the tag-up play it's being related to, as the ruling doesn't clarify itself by saying anything to the effect of "when runners are tagging up on fly balls" or offering any other clarifier.

It would be nice if this (using words typically used by an umpire) was laid out as either USC or OBS in type somewhere, specifically, for me. (I'm seeing a reoccurring theme with myself and what I want out of the rule/casebook. )

I'll take your word(s) on the subject. Just seems odd to me now. I'll give it time.

Thank you.