View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
A batter that gets frozen most likely gets first too, I think I've only called the batter back once in five years, it has to be pretty obvious
Sorry, but it is umpires like you that have made this rule SO hard to call for the rest of us!!!

I keep at least 2 batters a year in the box!!! I have games where I have kept 2 batters!!!

I do NOT agree with "if the ball is in the batters box, they shouldn't have to make an attempt" either!!! That is horsecrap umpiring, and horsecrap batting. Most of the time that I keep a batter at the plate is on curve balls that hit them in the "box", but the guy made NO attempt to get out of the way. They had all the time in the world to get out of the way, but they didn't.

One thing I noticed in AAA ball that was VERY different than amature ball is that every batter, no matter what, tried to avoid every pitch no matter what it was! Plenty of curve balls these guys could have stood there and let hit them, but they just got out of the way. I suppose they just like to stay in practice, because getting hit with 95mph fastballs HAS to hurt.

You guys that have all these other criteria for whether to keep the batter at the plate or not, do the game of baseball a favor, KEEP THEM THERE UNLESS THEY MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO AVOID THE PITCH, and that doesn't mean, just turning their shoulder. If they had time to turn so that it hits their back, they had MORE than enough time to avoid the pitch! You WILL know the difference between the two when you see it!

When I played, I would NEVER "take one for the team". I was there to hit the freakin' ball.