View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Is it Blues or Coaches Responsibility

Tim started an interesting thread about a bat throwing incident at the end of the game which IMO could have had more value added discussion.

It seems as though we have 2 "ends of the spectrum" on the issue

1. Dump the kid otherwise the next crew will have to deal with it or

2. The game is OVER so It's OVER let's get to our cars.

In the thread Tim presented, on face value did not indicate the player saying anything derrogatory at the umpire(s). All that was mentioned is that the player flung the bat and the helmet.

IN FED we are mandated by rule even at the end of the game to toss, however, in OBR there is no Definitive rule governing this except for Umpire Judgement.

Depending upon which leagues you umpire in, from my experience (at least at the legion level), as long as the player does not do something real stupid like say "Hey Blue go F yourself" or something similiar, I tend to work with the coach. If I see a player has a short fuse etc. I will say "Coach please handle" etc.

Ok now to this thread. If I remember some of the responses on Tim's thread, one poster said that if you do not do anything you are doing the next crew injustice. my answer to that is this:

if the coach does not handle the problem he/she is doing an injustice to the TEAM.

The Coach picks the players not us and they should be aware of any kids who have short fuses etc. In addition it is not our job to discipline players, that's the coaches job. An ejection is not a disiplinary move. It simply removes the player from that game but does not address the real issue.

Therefore in your opinions or experiences what is that "imaginary line" that differentiates the Coaches responsibility from ours regarding his/her players.

Pete Booth