View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Had one today. R1 and R2 - first baseman simply let the ball fall to the ground (easily catchable, just wanted to see what would happen). This is an AAU game for petes sakes, and the kids didn't have a clue.

R2 was a couple steps off the bag, and bolted to third. He actually got there (bad throw, F5 bobbled it). Then the Defensive Coach yelled at the pitcher to appeal that the runner left 2nd early. They properly appealed (except what the hell were they appealing?!?)

I just stood there, looking at the fielder with the ball. Defensive Coach came out and wanted an explanation. Evidently mine was not satisfictory to his high standards.

Coach: "HE LEFT EARLY! HES OUT, YOU GOTTA KNOW THAT"
Me: "Coach, calm down (matching his intensity, then allowing a moment of silence, and back to normal tone). I'm willing to talk to you here civily. When you say he left early coach, what event are you comparing him leaving early to in the time continum of this game?"
Coach (puzzled): "ahh, the catch!"
Me: "What catch?"
Coach: "The one the first baseman let fall to the ground."
Me: "So what are you asking again?"
Coach: "How come he doesn't have to tag up?"
Me: "Because nobody caught the ball"
Coach: "But the batter was out, its just as good as a catch."
Me: "No, its anything but a catch. We're done here, we're holding up the game. If you continue to argue this you are placing yourself in jeopardy. (trots back to my position)

Coach (walking back to dugout): "You need to look in a rulebook".

I contemplating coming back at him for that last comment, but didn't. He was headed back to the dugout, which was my whole goal to begin with.

Being a second year ump, did I do a good job with this one? Or was I much to lenient? Input desired.