View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
These all happened in the same game.

1. Coach complains when I called his runner out for interference when the runner collided with the F6 who was fielding a ground ball. "But Blue, she was in the baseline!"

"Thank you coach, I saw that too."

2. Runners on second and third. Batter flies out to CF. Runner from third tags, runner on second is half-way. Throw from F8 sails into DBT. I award R2 home on the throw. "But Blue, she was going BACK to second base!"

"Thanks again, coach."

3. R2 attempts to advance to third on passed ball. Catcher's throw pulls F5 off the bag and into the runner. "That's obstruction!"

"But Blue, you called my runner out for doing that!"

"No, your runner was out for interfering with a fielding trying to field a ground ball."

During the break between innings as he's making his way to the first base coach's box he's complaining about the bad calls, how horrible I am, etc. I didn't respond at first but had finally had enough and told him that each call was absolutely correct but he should have protested if he disagreed. He told me that he 'still might'. "Ahh, but coach, you have a problem, you can't protest NOW. You have to do it when the situation occurs."

"That's horrible! Those were terrible calls."

"Coach, you're starting to show your ignorance."

Turn and walk away.
Sounds like someone who attends the Tim McCarver/Joe Morgan Umpire Clinic on a regular basis.