View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

I belong to 3 Official's associations and we do not have 3 female officials in all those associations combined (that I am aware of). I did belong to an association that has many more women, but they work mostly college and advance very fast in the girl's tournament. In our state it is also almost impossible to work all the way through on both boy's and girl's basketball at the same time. So the women officials mostly stick to the girl's side. Women advance quicker (than anyone I might add on the boy's or girl's officiating) on the girl's side. Unless a woman just did everything to commit themselves to boy's basketball, I do not see anything taking shape. Unless something changes drastically in this state, I do not see a single woman working a boy's state final. There just are not the numbers and there most would rather work college ball. Right now this is a man's game because women show hardly any interest. Men find all kinds of ways to be apart of sports and women seemed to not care. That might be seen as a stereotype, but when I see guys in their 40s left and right joining officiating in many sports and you cannot even get a young women to try officiating, that tells me that sports is still a man's thing to do and not yet a women's vast interest.

Peace