Thread: Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Hey as I have said before i am just getting into this. I have seen so many diffrent ways of calling strikes. If you could please tell me how you do it. Also strike 3. Please explain what you are doing not just terms for it. Yes I need baby steps please like first do this next do this and finnaly do this.
thanks

Since you are a basketball official I will assume (hate to do that) that you had to attend some form of field clinic plus classroom work as well for the rules.

In addition, basketball akin to baseball has different rules depending upon what league you officate in.

Baseball in that regard is no different. Therefore, I recommend that you attend some sort of field clinic. As a member of a HS association, your dues will cover the Rule / Case book for FED rules. You can purchase the OBR (Official Baseball Rules) Rule-book on line. I also recommend you purchase add'l materials such as Carl Childress's BRD (Baseball Rule Differences).

Do not worry about the strike mechanic or strike 3 mechanic as that will come with experience. There are various plate stances that are recommended. The most notable is the "slot" but there is also the "scizzors" and to al lessor degree the Knee. In addition there is also the new Gerry Davis Stance. When you attend a clinic they go all of them. Try each one and see which works best for you. Being young the "slot" will probably be your best bet.

No need to verbalize when a player strikes out by swinging. He/She along with everyone else knows they K'd so you do not need to add insult to injury. The important issue is to develop proper timing when calling balls / strikes.

Now as with most things in life you can read/study all day long but it's nothing like "the real deal". In that regard if possible try and seek the guidence of a mentor. One who can come to most of your games and give you an honest critique. IMO, at least for me was the most important part of my development.

When I first started, I kept a note-book meaning after each game I would critique myself. In addition, when one of those "weird type" plays comes up I would research so that I knew it the next time. By wierd type I mean CI (Catcher's Interference) followed by a play which is something you do not see on a regular basis.

ADVICE: Do not know about your area, but you might get paired up with some "old vets" that are set in their ways, therefore, during your pre-game simply find out what they are going to do so that you know what you have to do.

Example: When I started I worked with a old vet. He had the plate that day and said to me "Son I have HOME PLATE" meaning do not expect help on bases one through 3.

Summary: Treat Officiating baseball for the first time similar to when you first started officiating basketball. Clincs and rules are a must

Pete Booth