Thread: Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:46pm

Fonz,

Called strikes (first and second strikes): I watch the pitch all the way to the mitt. I then call it to myself. This gives me 2 things, a confirmation of what I just saw, and proper timing. You don't want to jump up and call "Strike" the second the catcher catches the ball. You don't have to be ridiculously slow either. See the pitch to the mitt, call it in your own mind, then you are ready to perform the call itself.

At this point, I stand up out of my stance (let's say a basic heel/toe crouching style) and move my right leg closer to my left leg to about shoulder width and point to the right with my right index finger. Some guys like the "hammer" and just come up with their fist closed, but I prefer to point to the right. Some point to the left for left handed batters, but I go to the right for everyone. I also make my verbal call at the same time as I do the mechanic. Many umpires like to call the pitch when they are still in their stance, and then stand up to signal. The point is that everybody has their own style, and you will find the one that is comfortable for you.

As well as many ways to signal a strike, there are just as many different ways of saying a strike. Some guys yell "Strike" and some like "Steeeee" or "Sti". Since about my second season, I have preferred to say "Ha" which is very popular. I say it very loud, and often I will hear a youngster nearby imitate the call, and I guess that's the most sincere form of flattery, so I've heard. Again, experiment in your living room with different calls until you come up with one you really like.

Swinging strikes (1 and 2): A very non-chalant point to the side or "hammer" out signal (Whichever you like). Don't be in a big hurry to signal, since everyone in the place sees that it is a strike.

Swinging strike 3: I prefer a solid hammer, but no rush on the call here either. If it is an uncaught 3rd strike with less than 2 outs and 1st base open, or with 2 outs, the runner can run to first and must be either tagged or thrown out at 1st base. On these, I signal with an emphatic double point and say "no catch" if it is not obvious to all. There are threads in which this is discussed at length, so just use the search function.

Strike 3 called: The most exciting of all strike calls. Time to show a little flair. It doesn't need to be ostentatious like Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun, but should stand out and really sell the call. I use the "pull the chain" or "chainsaw" style. If nobody is on base, I turn to the right and do it, and if there are runners, I do not turn, instead I do it facing forward. I say "Haaaaa" even louder and longer, and then stand and extend my right arm forward and yank it back while extending my left arm and fist forward. I try to throw in a little Frank Pulli footwork, kind of a quick Ali Shuffle type thing. HTBT!!

I'm not writing a book here, but you get the general idea. Watch a lot of MLB games and watch the umpires intently, and not just the players. Watch the timing that they use, not only when working the plate, but on the bases as well. Slower is always better than faster, as it gives you just a bit more time to review the pitch or play in your head, giving you a better chance of getting the call right.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25