View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

I admit to being a gear junkie, but a dozen Fox 40s? Why? Do you bite through them? Tap dance on them? Frequently run over your gear bag in the driveway? I've never had one crack, split or break. They even go through the washer and dryer no worse for the wear. I will say that mine got rather full of gunk one game this summer (accumulated "mouth stuff" from a couple of years worth of use), but 2 minutes with a toothpick cleared that problem up. But I can see how a second whistle would be good there.

As for the partner without a Fox 40 (I'm guessing he doesn't have a single clue, let alone a second, back-up clue), carry a spare for him. Offer to trade him. When he hands over his Acme, crush it. Then smile and go on with your pre-game.

I also recommend carrying a Fox Pearl if you expect to work at any multi-court facilities. The sound is distinctive enough that the players on your floor will be able to tell your whistle from those on other courts.

Also, if you can't afford 2 pairs of everything, or the truck to haul it all in, pack a little sewing kit for emergency repairs.