The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

I admit to being a gear junkie, but a dozen Fox 40s? Why? Do you bite through them? Tap dance on them? Frequently run over your gear bag in the driveway? I've never had one crack, split or break. They even go through the washer and dryer no worse for the wear. I will say that mine got rather full of gunk one game this summer (accumulated "mouth stuff" from a couple of years worth of use), but 2 minutes with a toothpick cleared that problem up. But I can see how a second whistle would be good there.

As for the partner without a Fox 40 (I'm guessing he doesn't have a single clue, let alone a second, back-up clue), carry a spare for him. Offer to trade him. When he hands over his Acme, crush it. Then smile and go on with your pre-game.

I also recommend carrying a Fox Pearl if you expect to work at any multi-court facilities. The sound is distinctive enough that the players on your floor will be able to tell your whistle from those on other courts.

Also, if you can't afford 2 pairs of everything, or the truck to haul it all in, pack a little sewing kit for emergency repairs.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Quote:
I admit to being a gear junkie, but a dozen Fox 40s? Why? Do you bite through them? Tap dance on them? Frequently run over your gear bag in the driveway? I've never had one crack, split or break. They even go through the washer and dryer no worse for the wear. I will say that mine got rather full of gunk one game this summer (accumulated "mouth stuff" from a couple of years worth of use), but 2 minutes with a toothpick cleared that problem up. But I can see how a second whistle would be good there.
I use the cushioned mouth guard version. They don't last as long because the cushion part gets all chewed up. I think I am going to go back to the regular ones this season. I had my first defective one this past week at a camp. It was a brand new Fox 40, and it sounded terrible. It was so bad, even the observer noticed. I had to switch it out at halftime. That is the only bad Fox 40 I have ever had.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I wear Sansabelt now, but I've heard good things about Honigs -- especially the athletic cut version (of which I have for football knickers). I will pick up a pair or two at our state meeting this fall.

Right now, I wear Underarmour heatgear long tights along with the v-neck tactical line of UA shirts. I will continue with the shirts, but am looking for tights that are a little more supportive (i.e., a little tighter. These tights do a great job of moisture management, but not as good on thigh support. I've never worn just compression shorts under my pants. For some reason it feels weird, as if my pants are falling down. Besides, if you pants rip at the knee area or below, with the leg tights, no one will notice. I've had a partner who's pants ripped in the calf area (how, I don't know) and I didn't even notice until after the game.

However, I did wear short tights under the UA tights at a recent camp. Still trying to get over a groin pull, but its getting a little better.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2006, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I admit to being a gear junkie, but a dozen Fox 40s? Why? Do you bite through them?
Yup, I do. I go through about two or three during the season, and another two or three during the spring, summer and fall. I've tried and tried to break the habit, but I just can't seem to stop. The CMG's are even worse than the regulars.

I like the idea of keeping a Pearl on hand for the multicourt facilities. great idea.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

as long as fox 40's has come up, has anyone tried the new "dolphin" whistle available through Honig's?
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've been using the same Fox40 for 2+ seasons now and it's still in excellent condition. I do wash it with soap/water after every game to avoid the gunk build-up.

BTW, periodically I dream I'm officiating ...I blow my whistle, no sound comes out ...everyone looks at me ...I realize I'm naked and drowning and haven't done any homework all semester ...and then I...okay, too much info...take meds ...I'll be quiet now.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule
as long as fox 40's has come up, has anyone tried the new "dolphin" whistle available through Honig's?
Looking for Molten Whistle : Dolphin ?
Electric Whistle
What whistle do you use?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule
I tried it. It has more of a square shape for the mouth which I don't think fits comfortably and the sound is weird inside a gym. I will use it on a soccer lanyard, but not in basketball. Save your money... Stick with the original Fox 40.

Don't go looking back at the past postings.... these idiots on here think it is some type of electronic whistle, but it isn't. It just just another type of FOX40 pealess whistle product. FYI, this whistle is becoming more and more popular with FIBA refs.

Last edited by Official99; Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 07:51am.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Don't go looking back at the past postings.... these idiots on here think it is some type of electronic whistle, but it isn't. It just just another type of FOX40 pealess whistle product. FYI, this whistle is becoming more and more popular with FIBA refs.
Idiots?

Why come here if we're idiots?

Iow, take a hike.

Go away.

Shoo, shoo......
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Which idiots would those be? The one who just graduated from George Washington University, and worked at the score table for their D1 basketball team all four of his years? The one who is one of the best writers to ever appear in the pages of the paid side of this site? The one who is assignor and interpreter for his local chapter? The ones who work D3 and D2 college ball? You need to be more specific.

The only reference to anyone thinking it's electronic is from someone who refers to a battery-operated thing, but that person clearly got the wrong site by mistake. No one else comes near to implying that.

How 'bout you hold the insults and be civil? You'd be surprised how much it doesn't have to hurt!
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I wear compression shorts under shorts in the summer and the compression tights under the pants. I carry Static Guard because of static build up with the tights at times. I ordered my pants through SansabeltWorld.com. I had them within four days.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I also always where Under Armor compression pants when I referee with long pants instead of shorts (regular season of course). I have not had any leg problems and they are very comfortable when working games. The Under Armor also keeps the sweat off of you very well and is not very hot either.

Peace
I used the Reebok knockoff until I went overseas. The Under Armor worked great in the desert under my uniform. The BX was constantly out of them. I figure if it works in 130 degrees, it'll work on the court.