View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
This is where I disagree. I think you take into account the level as a whole, but not idividual players.

Let's say you have your worst shortstop in the league again and they are playing the team with the best shortstop. Pop up and the best SS ranges over about 7 steps for the easy grab and you call infield fly, no problem. Now two innings later, same pop-up but worst SS this time, it's an easy pop-up, but you know she is the worst in the league and isn't going to catch it so you no call it. Now coach comes out and asks why it's an infield fly for them and not for us. You are honestly going to say to him they get the infield fly because they are better?
Yes I am. The rule states that the player has to be able to make the play with ordinary effort - not the SS for the other team. It doesnt say call it because the other teams SS can make the play. It state, that the ball must be caught with resonable effort. If the worst SS cant range 7 steps and catch it then I am not giving it to her.

Keep in mind here, the sitch I am using is somewhat tainted because I know the ability of the players becuase I have seen each of them play all summer long. I know what their resonable effort is and truthfully, some of them will not attempt to range more than a couple steps.