View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
The individual level of ablility for each player is different. Some SS may have great range and be able to make a play in short OF without any difficulty where as a 14 year old girl could be camped under the ball and still not catch it with ease.

Last night I had the 2 worst teams in the league play each other. There were 2 potential IFF that I did not call because I knew the ability of the players involved - literally more than 4 steps to catch it was more than ordinary effort (Neither were caught by the way). The one I did call the girl was camped under it and did catch it.

What is ordinary effort is different by player and should be called as such.
This is where I disagree. I think you take into account the level as a whole, but not idividual players.

Let's say you have your worst shortstop in the league again and they are playing the team with the best shortstop. Pop up and the best SS ranges over about 7 steps for the easy grab and you call infield fly, no problem. Now two innings later, same pop-up but worst SS this time, it's an easy pop-up, but you know she is the worst in the league and isn't going to catch it so you no call it. Now coach comes out and asks why it's an infield fly for them and not for us. You are honestly going to say to him they get the infield fly because they are better?