View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSUAUmpire
After much debate in our association; I thought I would let some of the better minds in softball help. The question is: Should the level of play determine whether or not you call an infield fly? My position is that a pop fly in the infield (with runners on 1st and 2nd and less then 2 outs of course) that can be caught with ordinary effort the infield fly rule should be called whether your are calling Men's A or COED D. IMO the ability of the players on the field is not the dermining factor.
The individual level of ablility for each player is different. Some SS may have great range and be able to make a play in short OF without any difficulty where as a 14 year old girl could be camped under the ball and still not catch it with ease.

Last night I had the 2 worst teams in the league play each other. There were 2 potential IFF that I did not call because I knew the ability of the players involved - literally more than 4 steps to catch it was more than ordinary effort (Neither were caught by the way). The one I did call the girl was camped under it and did catch it.

What is ordinary effort is different by player and should be called as such.