View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Finally, and this is the point that no one has addressed yet and I would really like someone respond to, is plays at other bases. Let's picture for example, a play at home with the throw coming from straightaway CF. This is the exact mirror image of a steal at 2B. Those of you who think taking the steal play at 2B from the inside gives you the absolute best look at that play - do you follow that same positioning at the plate? Do you come into fair territory, shaded slightly up the 3B line, face the throw and have it turn you into the play at the plate? I think probably not (unless you are Bruce Froemming). You probably stay in foul territory on either the 1B or 3B line extended. That is precisely the look you would get at 2B from the outfield side. And that's the main point I wished to make. Please respond to that.

Chris Wright

Chris,

On a play at the plate the technique that is now being taught is to be point of plate extended, follow throw in and either step 1st or 3rd base extended depending on throw or stay point ext. for the call. This allows you to easily move into position depending on throw for the correct angle. If you always work either line extended you have the chance of being straight lined or if there happens to be a train wreck, you being involved in it.
The same technique is one reason for the inside positioning at 2nd. Step or two either way can prevent the straight line. If you are outside a step or two is not going to help you. Also if positioned outside with runner on first you would be responsible for going out on catch/no-catch balls, which leaves 2nd open for touches or un-ordinary plays. If you are inside 2nd is always covered and wing men cover catches and remainder slide accordingly.