View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I don't agree with this philosophy at all. It is the player's game. Especially in a timed game, however they want to spend the time is their choice. The game does not end sooner because of these time outs. You may get a few more at-bats, but that is about it. OTOH, you dumb down the game by removing the requirement that the outfielders actually be able to throw the ball in to someone who will catch it. JMO.
wrong on count 1
and
irrelevent on count 2.

All the factors combined that one does during a game A) speeds or slows up a game OR you can get more game in in the alloted time.

Do you let pitchers take 5 mins to warm up because its a timed game.. so it doesnt really matter how long they warm up, you'll be there the same amount of time.

In my mind, my methods are proven.. because I talk with other umpires who say "wow how did you get in all 7 innings in a buck 20.. well cuz i hustle their buts up.. thats how. Im hustling, they are hustling.

Pitcher/catcher lag getting out to warm up, you get two warm ups (or whatever).. you slowly wander in from left field because you dont want to throw it while everyone is waiting around.. I call time and tell you to throw in the ball.. you slide into 2nd and the SS is sitting there holding a mit on you.. everyone waiting around.. I call time, tell you to get up.. you wander around between pitches, I tell you to get in the box, lets go! The plays over, we move on.

Dumbing down the game.. well if you say so, but I'm confident the blues like yourself out there more than make up for my dumbing down the game with your strict adherence to the code of "its your game, lag as much as you want, the clocks the same to me".

Of course, in a 7 inning no time game with both of us working 2 fields, i would probably have my hot dog finished and half my soda done and my sandals on relaxing in the shade, by the time you got off the field.. it happens all the time

But you would have the satisfaction of knowing the players you just umpired were smarter than mine.

Fair trade IMO. I'll have to learn to live with that.