View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
In a HS or higher game there would probably be medical staff available to issue a release. In lower style game (such as this) it is hard just to get everyone to understand just the basic rules. Hindsight is always 20-20, but I would have thought hard about letting him play.
Since verbal instructions/agreements are hard to prove, why write in scorebook next to players name "OK to play" and have the mother initial it????
Good thinking on the "getting it in writing." However, I still would not play in this situation. Unless the mother is a physician, I'm unsure if she can clear her son to play. (This is why we require a doctor's WRITTEN authorization to return - if you have medical staff on hand, make sure there is an MD present, and not just an EMT/Paramedic.)

This whole thing with releasing liability came up a while back with a coach willing "take full responsibility" for letting a player play in some state where she should not have been allowed to play. Someone may take responsibility, but that does not mean liability has been transferred!