Thread: One to chew on
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
Well I would have gotten the call wroung myself but I believe the correct answe is below thanks to my old instructor (not in age)

The BR and R1 advanced at least one base safely which makes the balk null, and it is now ignored. (rule 8.05 Penalty) The BR who touched 1B could have been called out for abandoning his effort to run the bases. See excerpt from rule 7.08(a)(2) below. However, if the umpire does not consider this abandonment the "force" on the BR is reinstated so no tag on the BR is required once the ball was thrown to F3 on the 1b bag. See excerpt from rule 7.08(e) below.

7.08 (a) Any runner is out when: (2) after touching first base, he leaves the baseline, obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base; Any runner after reaching first base who leaves the baseline heading for his dugout or his position believing that there is no further play, may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning his efforts to run the bases. ....

7.08 Any runner is out when: (e) ......However, if the forced runner, after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base he had last occupied, the force play is reinstated, and he can again be put out if the defense tags the base to which he is forced; ......
PFISTO,

The force cannot be reinstated on the batter-runner, as the force out does not apply to the batter-runner, because by definition he cannot be forced. A force, by definition is when a runner loses the right to occupy a base when the batter becomes a runner, and that part of 7.08(e) only applies to forced runners.

This comes from J/R Manual, 2004 edition Chapter 6, Section A, note 12 on page 49. The B/R can retreat as far as the plate and must be tagged out.

PBUC Manual Section 4.24
NOTE: "In situations where the batter-runner gets in a rundown between first and home, if the batter-runner retreats and reaches home plate, he shall be declared out."

Also, for the ruling on 7.08(a)(2) from JEA:

"A batter-runner who inexplicably fails to return directly to 1st base after overrunning it shall not be called out before entering the dugout."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:41pm.