View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
In my real job, I work as a registered nurse in a hospital emergency room. I have on many occaisions seen exactly what you are talking about. A hypoglycemic reaction or diabetic seizure as you call it is a reaction to low blood sugar. Low blood sugar can have varying degrees of severity. A person may feel weak and dizzy to being fully unconscious. If the player in your opinion was unconscious then I would not have allowed him to return to the game without physician approval. If they were just weak and dizzy but could respond to you verbally, I probably would allow them to return after treatment to raise the blood sugar. Let me add that very few true seizures involve consciousness.

[Edited by daves on Jan 7th, 2002 at 02:30 AM]
Well, his eyes werent closed and he was sitting on the bench but he was unresponsive to the coach for a couple minutes. Again....mom gave him some juice or whatever and he was back to "normal". This has been some good feedback. I'm still hanging my hat on not again. Just too many medical unknowns to make me think I dont want to be in the loop.

Ya know....I just had a thought....Hey Mom and Coach....if you know you have a kid who goes thru this....mix in a meal before game time!

Larks