View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
think the college conferences are largely to blame for the lack of consistency because there really is no one overriding, consistent philosophy across college basketball because different supervisors like different things mechanically and philosophically.
Excellent point. How many D1 assigners are there? 19? Thats a minimum of 19 different philosophies out there. That doesnt even consider minor differences between leagues with the same assignor.

I've been to two camps this summer and saw first hand that there are differences in how the supervisor wants you to do certain things. Small example - One preferred that the new trail stays nearer the sideline during transition from BC to FC while the other guy wants us 3 and 3 (3 steps over and 3 steps behind so we have a better look at the play.

So - we adjust (when in rome...). I'm not complaining - I adjusted but this backs up the point that there isnt one consistent philosophy....they may be close but there are some differences.

It's also my sense that when you are making your move to the next level, you pick a track. You go for the D league or CBA and you attend camps geared towards the NBA (Coast to Coast?). Or, you pick the collegiate track and try to get a start with some JUCO or NAIA. Some can do both but at some point, you pretty much have to pick. And, once you leave a college assignor, lets face it, there are 200 new guys a year that are darn good officials ready to slide right in to your slot.

Finally, someone posted earlier, there are officials that are as good as anyone at the high school level. They couldnt make the jump to college because of work or family priorities. I work with them all the time.

One last point - someone mentioned benefits - I think the NBA guys get benefits and some scheduled off time during the season but the bottom line is that it is a grind and you can potentially be away 23 or 24 days a month. But I am betting that the D1 big hitters face the same issue. Everyone picks this avocation for a reason and for some, it can lead to a career. At the end of the day, part of what the NBA and major D1 conferences need are guys that are able to walk the path. It doesnt take the smartest guy to surmise that the NBA and D1 level officials divorce rate is probably twice the normal populations. So that part of it too Mark....Can you commit to the lifestyle as well.