View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
IU,

could you please tell us what you would have had when (Lawrence = A1/Wichata = B1):
  • A1 secured loose ball then elbowed B1 in the midsection
  • B1 got in A1's face on the way up the court
  • A1 & B1 kept running their mouths at each on the way up the court
  • A1 shoves B1

Those are the 4 events I saw leading up to B1 attacking A1. Two of those events A1 is at fault, one event both are, and one event B1 is at fault. So IMO A1 carries the most weight for "initiating" the incident. This, of course, in no way excuses or absolves B1 excessive response.

But those 4 events immediately preceeding the attack are called mitigating circumstances and I'm sure affect how a criminal prosecutor or civil court judge would view the merits of the case. It's not just a simple case of an unprovoked assault.

Of course, this is all JMO.
  • A1 secured loose ball then elbowed B1 in the midsection
From the video, I cannot tell 100% that he made contact when he swung around. I don't see B1 bend over as to what a normal reaction would be if he'd taken a hard shot to the midsection. If no contact, then I have an excessive swinging of arms violaton. If any contact, then I have a player control foul.
  • B1 got in A1's face on the way up the court
I stop play, get those two together, tell them that nothing extra-curricular is going to happen during this ballgame and that they are being watched. Then I inform my partner to keep an eye on both players.
  • A1 & B1 kept running their mouths at each on the way up the court
Depending on the severity of the exchange, I either stop play and give them the "your both being watched" lecture, or a double technical foul.
  • A1 shoves B1
I have a personal foul on A1, based on the video and what I saw.

And for the takedown and pummelling, I have a fragrant technical and B1 is gone.

Interestingly, as the players are coming up the court you can see a coach for Team B jumping up and down, wanting either a double dribble or a travel, can't really make it out. I would have thought he'd be complaining about that thrown elbow?? I mean, he was a lot closer to the play than the video camera. Maybe it wasn't as bad as you and some others are making it out to be.......JMO