View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
IMathews- we're talking straight MLB rules that have no slide rule period.

So in your first 2 situations, there is no call. Apparently from the information in this thread, he can legally break up a DP this way. No INT call.

In the third sit, if the player does anything like swat at the ball (ala A-Rod) or put his hands up, then yes, that's INT.

Now, if there was a force play slide rule much like NFHS and NCAA, then the first 2 situations are definitely INT.

Also, don't drop names of coaches like that on these forums - could get into some trouble that way.
I'm sorry bossman, I meant that we were playing NFHS rules. I don't believe I mentioned that. I also don't believe you're understand my first situation correctly. Not only did he not slide, he rammed the shortstop that was getting ready to make a throw causing him to throw wild. To my knowledge, this would even be INT in MLB, correct? I was told that there is not a mandatory slide rule unless it's at the plate, but if they interfere with the play then it's interference, that's what I called. Talk to me more about the madatory slide thing. I know that when they slide, they have to slide into the base, and if they don't it's automatic double play also, correct?

As for the names of coaches, my apologies for that. I wasn't thinking when I was typing and immediatly after I hit 'submit' I knew I shouldn't have included his name. I just know he's a name many people and umpires are familiar with. I realize I shouldn't have included it.