View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 07:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Hey,Rut,I just quoted YOU word for word.You brought this up yourself in the other forum specifically about not awarding merited free throws.Your answer is in context to that,and also applies to the situation above.You're the one that said you can easily prevent this type of correctable error by knowing how many fouls you have on the board and what type.Well,you just found out it ain't that easy to prevent sometimes,didn't you.My point is that sh*t sometimes happens,and it is not the officials' fault.
It does not matter that you quoted me, it is what you are quoting me for.

It is just like quoting Martin Luther King Jr. in his "I have a Dream" speech. You can focus on just the "I have a Dream" and totally miss all the things he said more than 2/3 of the speech.

You quoted an argument completely out of context. And NO $hit does not just happen when counting players. And if it does, who do you think is going to take the blame? If you are officiating a football game and you have 12 players on the field, and you were suppose to call a penalty and you do not. Then the team with 12 players scores a touchdown and wins the game in the final minute of the game and wins, are you going to be able to say "$hit happens?" I sure the hell hope not. And since the original comments had to do with COUNTING PLAYERS AND GIVING A T FOR THAT WITHOUT TAKING THE TIME TO CATCH THAT, $H!T does not just happen. My actions did not give a team the ball and give them two shots because I feel asleep. I think the difference is huge. And if "I" did not give a merited FT because I did not realize that we had to shoot both, then what you are saying would be 100% correct. And most correctable errors are the fault of the official.

Kind of hard to blame the table for 2-10-1a, Failure to award a merited FT, when you the official knew you were in the bonus and you just did not shoot the FT. And I personally take responsibility for that every game. You have to have some kind of "awareness" of that fact, if by nothing else but asking the table if we are in the bonus. Because at some point you need to know who the hell might shoot if you are not sure.

I guess like to take ownership over my games. I do not like to pass the buck or put the responsiblity in the hands of others. And that is why in THAT DISCUSSION ON THE McGRIFF BOARD, I said that counting players is and officials responsibility and and officials responsiblity only. And if you cannot understand that, you need to ask what your assignor says when you allow those kind of things to happen over and over again. And see what coaches will think of you giving Ts when you did not have to. Yes, $hit can happen, but you better make sure it does not keep happening. And the seasoned veterans do not let it happen if at all.

Peace