View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmathews19
Here's another collision question. FED rules. I was working a showcase tournament at the University of Tennessee this weekend (teams like the East Cobb Astros and the like) and I had 3 calls at 2nd base that the coaches came out and spoke with me about.

The first one, R1. Batter hits a ball to second and the 2B goes for a double play. The runner on first doesn't slide going into 2nd base and collides with the shortstop interfering with his throw and he throws it wild. I call interference and an automatic double play. I know it's the PU's call, but I was on top of it and called it b/c I had yet to turn towards first to see if the batter was safe/out.

The next day we had the same team I made the call on (the coach is a real prick...Guerry Baldwin if you know him). Same situation and the kid barely bumps shortstop and doesn't slide or interfere with the throw. I got nothing and he goes ballistic saying I called his kid out for not sliding. Whatever coach.

The next day. Kid slides in to second on a double play ball with hands up and unintentionally knocks the ball out of the shortstops hand. I was the BU and the PU called nothing. The coach goes nuts, gets confined to the dugout. Then tries to come out and coach third base again and makes a raucous and gets himself tossed (trying to pump his players up or something). What exactly is the ruling on these situations? I know they don't have to slide at second base, but interfering with the throw is an out all day correct?
In the first one, you had the call on it. If F6 doesn't get the throw off, it still belongs to the BU. Once the ball turns you to 1st, the INT call goes to the PU.

In the second play, did you tell the coach that you didn't call his kid out for not sliding, you called him out for INT?

In the third play, I don't have a clear picture of what happened, so I won't comment on the non-call, but if the coach went nuts, I would have gone straight to the ejection. You don't have to restrict a coach to a dugout. It is an option only, and I've never used the option in all the years it has been available. I feel that if a coach does something that merits restriction, it merits an ejection. Especially after him getting in your face three times. It sounds to me like he "struck out" with you.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Jun 26, 2006 at 01:03am.