Thread: Keep Quiet?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Tim,

I'm having trouble picturing this. He was in the windup, but he "set" his hands? Did he stop his delivery motion entirely in "setting?" This would have some bearing on whether it would be a balk or not, since you can't stop in the middle of your windup, "Aki Otsuka" style, with runners on base. You are supposed to deliver the pitch without interruption or alteration, right? Just checking on what really happened. Did he just start his entire delivery like that? That would be unorthodox, but legal. Give me the 411, man!
Steve:

It was a perfectly legal position and subsequent delivery. The pitcher was in the windup facing the batter with his hands together. The webbing of the glove was just below eye level. I have no doubt that he was improperly applying the below the chin restriction while in the set position found in FED rules. I agree with John that the coach certainly could have kept himself in the game, but that was out of my control. The coach went directly to my partner and the two of them discussed this without me. Had I been called in to give some input I would have. I just didn't want to step on this guys call. It was the first time we've worked together and I didn't want to play the heavy. Had the coach lodged a proper protest I would have had to say something though, as the call would have made both of us look bad if it was taken to a committee.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Wed Jun 21, 2006 at 10:13pm.