View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Little League?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcoach
In the second issue, the rule book states that the ball is dead unless hit or bunted, then list an exception that the pitcher may pickoff a base runner throwing from the stretch position. The pitcher had gotten the ball back , but never returned to the rubber. Even though I had the rule book in hand and read the rule to both opposing team coaches and both umpires, they basically said the call was made move on.
That doesn't sound like the Little League (tm) rule book, nor is D-2 a LL designation. I suspect that I can't answer your question because I doubt if I've read your rulebook.

In LL, a foul ball is dead (5.09 (d)), and it becomes live again when (optionally) the umpire calls "play" after the pitcher takes position on the pitcher's plate with the ball (5.11).

I say "optionally," because by convention the ball is also live if the umpire merely points or forgets to say, "play."

At some point, Coach, when your team has advanced to higher levels of umpiring, you'll find that reading the rulebook to the umpires is a bad idea.