View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Horrible. And blatantantly untrue. The PU's primary responsibilities on this play according to every clinic I've ever attended or taught at, in 2 different baseball rulesets and 3 different softball rulesets, is the runners touching. Any BU worth enough to have a real uniform to wear should be able to see a pulled foot in 99.9% of the cases. I'm sure you, as PU, would have the opportunity to see more pulled feet at 1st than missed bases at home or 3rd on a play like this, but if you miss YOUR responsibility because you were covering for a BU who could not cover HIS responsibilities, it will be YOUR hide tanned if you are being reviewed that day.

There are calls that belong to both umpires. This situation is not one of them. Do your OWN job first.
I'm not arguing the mechanic, but let's go to reality.

1. I'm not umpiring to please the evaluator, rather to arbitrate a fair game. As this case proves, it's much more likely fairness will be served with 4 eyes on first.
When was the last time you had an appeal at home plate for an uncontested run?
2. Bases loaded 2 outs bottom of 7th. Tell me the evaluators eyes are going to be on PU not on the play at first.
3. When evaluator sees the blatant miss at first, then sees BU ask for help and your response is "sorry didn't see it, had my nose pointed to home making sure the runner didn't miss that wide open plate." Tell me the evaluator is going to say "great job"

And for what it's worth, I'll guarantee you that you will be the only person watching the foot touch home. Every other eye in the park is going to be locked on to first. So even if he misses the plate by an inch or two you'll be the only one knowing. In the meantime you can explain to the coach you didn't see the play, but be assured coach I know the staus of r3 and home plate. I'm sure the losing team, after being rung up on a blatantly missed tag at first, will take solace knowing R3 touched home plate even if it didn't count.