View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Why the huff?

In person, Jim teaches that there is no such animal as a delayed dead ball. It is either live or dead. His favorite example is batter's interference with the catcher's throw on a stealing R1. The ball remains live on the interference; then if the offense does not retire the runner, time is called, the ball is dead and enforcement follows. If the runner is retired, the interference is ignored, the ball remains live. Thus no need for a "delayed" dead ball.

His 2004 comment was repeated, to my personal knowledge, again in 2006 and probably many other times. I did not take it out of context.

I will ask him how he reconciles his teaching with his writings, but I will accept what he has instructed. I see no problem with it.
No huff was intended, merely confusion at what appear to be extremely contradictory statements by the same person, a universally recognized expert on the rules of baseball.

I don't understand the point of proclaiming there is no such thing as a delayed dead ball, unless it is merely to point out that the rules are not explicit about it, but indeed the proper enforcement mechanism for several instances is very aptly described as utilizing the concept of a "delayed dead ball," just like Jim described in in his book.