View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Along the lines of the play discussed in "Here is one that caused a stir this weekend," how would you rule on the following plays?:

Play A

Girls' FP, tie score, one out, bottom of 7th. Abel on 2B, Baker on 1B. Charles lines a hit to left. F7 fields the ball on one hop and throws home. Abel stops on 3B, Baker on 2B. Charles, however, rounds—and misses—1B and stops halfway between 1B and 2B to draw a play. Instead of returning the ball to the circle, F2 throws to F3, who tags Charles for out number 2 as Abel scores the apparent winning run. However, F3 noticed Charles's miss of 1B and, with the offense celebrating, tags Baker off 2B and then runs back to 1B to appeal Charles's miss for the advantageous fourth out. The appeal at 1B is upheld. Would you rule the inning over and nullify the run? (I would.)
The part that has me a little confused is that they are apparently getting two outs on the same player, Charles.

Charles is the hitter and is tagged out while standing between 1B and 2B for the second out. Baker is then tagged between 2B and 3B for the third out and now they are appealing Charles, who has already been put out, for missing 1B. Wouldn't the tagging of Charles take care of the missed 1B? I would think that the tagging of Charles would be the live-ball appeal for the missed base. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Similar situation, Charles hits ball to the outfield gap with one out, he misses first on his way to second and is then thrown out at 2B for the second out of the inning. The defense can now appeal Charles missing first base for the third out of the inning? Or is this now allowed as it would not be an advantagous 4th out?

Last edited by gsf23; Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 01:44pm.