View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA.

Based on 11.6.A, a passed ball and wild pitch could be scored an error if it prolongs the batter's "at bat" or the life of a present runner.

The terms "passed ball" and "wild pitch" are only addressed in rule 11 as it pertains to the format of the scorer's game summary.

I am assuming there are additional definitions and scoring rulings at another location in ASA's statistical documentation.
I'm not exactly sure what the ASA definition of a passed ball or wild pitch is, but generally speaking a PB or WP cannot prolong the life of a batter or runner. It can allow for a batter or runner to advance, but doesn't prolong anything.

I'm thinking you are refering to a misplayed foul fly that would prolong a batter's turn at bat, but not lead to any runner advancing. This is scored an error despite the general qualification of a runner being able to advance due to the misplay not being met.

While PB's and WP's are misplays along the lines of other errors, the general definition is that of protecting a pitcher or catcher from being charged with great number of errors.

Again, I'm not sure if ASA has special definitions, but since scoring rules are pretty much universal across codes and sports (baseball and softball are the same as far as I've seen in Fed), I would assume that scoring of PB's and WP's would be done the same.