5 strikeouts in 1 inning

Is this the record?

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...9/1003/ARCHIVE
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab4man
I doubt it. My DD and I met Gary and Catherine Osterman about ten years ago at a summer tournament. (This was long before she became "Cat.") Gary and I exchanged aperiodic e-mails over the years. When Cat was a HS freshman, the rest of her team was quite weak. At one point in the season she was averaging more than 3 K's per inning.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
At one point in the season she was averaging more than 3 K's per inning.
Wow! That's efficient pitching! (Especially considering that there are only 3 outs per inning pitched
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab4man
Is this the record?
Not quite the same anomaly, but we had a lady on a co-ed team hit for the cycle in one inning. Single, double, home-run, double and triple all in the second inning. They only played two innings that night, but boy was it a long game.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Wow! That's efficient pitching! (Especially considering that there are only 3 outs per inning pitched
More like inefficient catching!
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
I doubt it. My DD and I met Gary and Catherine Osterman about ten years ago at a summer tournament. (This was long before she became "Cat.") Gary and I exchanged aperiodic e-mails over the years. When Cat was a HS freshman, the rest of her team was quite weak. At one point in the season she was averaging more than 3 K's per inning.
I'm lurking from the basketball side. How can you have/ avg. more than 3K's per inning?
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped 3rd strike with the batter advancing to 1st. Credit the K, charge the catcher with an error.
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

If anyone thinks it is a record, they haven't watched very many low-level JV games
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmatt
Dropped 3rd strike with the batter advancing to 1st. Credit the K, charge the catcher with an error.
Don't charge an error to the catcher. There are specifications about this type of a misplay that clarify that it is not an error due to the frequency that pitcher and catcher handle the ball, and it should be scored as a passed ball or wild pitch not an error.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Don't charge an error to the catcher. There are specifications about this type of a misplay that clarify that it is not an error due to the frequency that pitcher and catcher handle the ball, and it should be scored as a passed ball or wild pitch not an error.
That's why I just umpire and not keep score . Must be another one of those myths. Isn't a PB an error on the catcher? Honest question, I always thought it was/is.

I guess you are correct, it could be a WP too. Seen many batters swing at a pitch with 2 strikes that sails to the backstop.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking ASA.

Based on 11.6.A, a passed ball and wild pitch could be scored an error if it prolongs the batter's "at bat" or the life of a present runner.

The terms "passed ball" and "wild pitch" are only addressed in rule 11 as it pertains to the format of the scorer's game summary.

I am assuming there are additional definitions and scoring rulings at another location in ASA's statistical documentation.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
More like inefficient catching!
My bad. . .I hadn't considered the dropped third strike.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA.

Based on 11.6.A, a passed ball and wild pitch could be scored an error if it prolongs the batter's "at bat" or the life of a present runner.

The terms "passed ball" and "wild pitch" are only addressed in rule 11 as it pertains to the format of the scorer's game summary.

I am assuming there are additional definitions and scoring rulings at another location in ASA's statistical documentation.
I'm not exactly sure what the ASA definition of a passed ball or wild pitch is, but generally speaking a PB or WP cannot prolong the life of a batter or runner. It can allow for a batter or runner to advance, but doesn't prolong anything.

I'm thinking you are refering to a misplayed foul fly that would prolong a batter's turn at bat, but not lead to any runner advancing. This is scored an error despite the general qualification of a runner being able to advance due to the misplay not being met.

While PB's and WP's are misplays along the lines of other errors, the general definition is that of protecting a pitcher or catcher from being charged with great number of errors.

Again, I'm not sure if ASA has special definitions, but since scoring rules are pretty much universal across codes and sports (baseball and softball are the same as far as I've seen in Fed), I would assume that scoring of PB's and WP's would be done the same.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Again, I'm not sure if ASA has special definitions, but since scoring rules are pretty much universal across codes and sports (baseball and softball are the same as far as I've seen in Fed), I would assume that scoring of PB's and WP's would be done the same.
Actually, scorekeeping rules are not close to universal among different softball codes, much less being the same as baseball. But my scorebook days are over so I don't even try to keep them straight anymore.

Last edited by argodad; Mon Jun 12, 2006 at 03:41pm. Reason: 'cause I cain't type!
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While PB's and WP's are misplays along the lines of other errors, the general definition is that of protecting a pitcher or catcher from being charged with great number of errors.
That's ludicrous. If the P & C don't want to be charged with errors, they should improve their respective skills.

[quote}]Again, I'm not sure if ASA has special definitions, but since scoring rules are pretty much universal across codes and sports (baseball and softball are the same as far as I've seen in Fed), I would assume that scoring of PB's and WP's would be done the same.[/QUOTE]

No, ASA is not specific which is why I just threw it out there for consumption.

I don't know how much latitude a scorekeeper has, but I would assume that if a runner took off on a pitch and fell flat on their face (and, in the scorekeeper's judgment was a dead out) while a WP or PB went out of play, that could be considered. Like I said, they are not specific in the rule book. I do not know if there is an extended scoring manual published elsewhere.