Thread: Catch ?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debeau
That was a bite .
Mike ,I, and I assume you are the same , do not blindly accept the rules and definitions because I am told to .
I look at the definitions and dissect them ( maybe too much ) to understand them and this makes me understand the rules more .
If something doesnt seem right , I question it .
Thrown ball only
In this question I am not arqueing a no catch , I am trying to get discussion going and I have , although in a small way .
Note that I am just taking parts of the definition out of the rule book , not makeing up my own .
My point is :A catch is when the ball is the hands or glove , is it a catch when the ball is in another glove held by the fielders glove .
A catch is when the fielder can demonstrate complete control and/or a voluntary release of the ball. The fact that it is wedged in the webbing/fingers of another glove does not preclude any fielder from controling the ball.
Quote:

Does the sentence in the definitions " prevented from falling to the ground by equipment not encompass the 2nd glove " , it obviously does not mean the fielders glove.
I am talking about secondary equipment .
However, that isn't what you said. Your discussion involved the glove and the glove only. Your looking for boogers that do not exist.[quote

As F3 if another fielder jumps in to my arms to make an out on 1st is it out ?[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing since the rules specifically address the person touching the base have possession of the ball which requires contol of the ball. A fielder can control and release a ball stuck in another glove. A fielder cannot contral and release a ball held by another fielder.