View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Well, believe it or not, I am usually open to anyone's idea or opinion. However, I think I need to be realistic of my and others' situations. In my area and level, KS, JV & Varsity, if you let someone shove another player 3-4 feet and don't call a foul because the rebound went the other direction or the ball went in, you will be eaten alive. Not picking on your philosophy, just will not work for my area at this time.
3-4 feet of mmovement may be enough to warrant a call. But there definitely is a range in which you make the call if it affects the rebounding situation, and don't make it if it has no impact. The excessive push will need a call because of it's potential impact on the game as a whole, rather than the particular play. Also, an excessive amount of movement after a push has impacted normal defensive (or offensive) movement, and therefore is not incidental to the immediate play. It's up to you to decide where the boundary is, and that is impossible to do reading a posted situation and trying to imagine what happened (in terms of amount of contact and impact on game/play).

But you can't call every bump under the boards or we will be playing past midnight in a JV game, with the varsity still to follow!