Thread: balk question
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yeah, I read it in the BRD # 360, at exactly the same time JM was messaging me with the news of my wrongness.

It used to be that the pitcher could not even turn his shoulders while on the rubber. They finally got that right, and then screwed the rule up even more with the "no turning shoulders after the hands come together during the stretch" part, which is still different from OBR and NCAA.

FED rules are the exception in that they allow quick, jerky movements of the shoulder in order to drive back runners. OBR and NCAA still call this a balk.
Steve:

A dear friend who is a FED clinician reminds me often that one must always to look to the intent of FED rules.

The change in the shoulder turn in FED was to simplify when to allow A SHOULDER TURN and when not to. It was not intended to have any effect on calling a balk for a feint to first.

A feint to first while on the rubber is still a balk...before or after coming set. So, was it a shoulder turn.....or a feint? Call the feint, ignore the shoulder turn.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Jun 02, 2006 at 07:31pm.