View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Hi Mike,

Forget the slow motion. The call where he awarded the girl 1st base was very poor. Sure it happened fast, but the second it happened it was pretty obvious the ball hit the bat and not her hand. In cases similar, with the sound the ball made, and no pain displayed by the batter I have never seen the umpire award a base.
It wasn't obvious, even after a few replays! And how do you know what sound it made, were you on the field?

Quote:
The one where the ball was kicked after the girl was out of the box should have been seen by the PU, IMO. It was a batted ball, but it also was a kicked ball and he was right there in front of it. The umpire on 3rd was not asked for help and didn't offer any.
In this case, she shouldn't wait to be asked if she saw it. For that matter, it might have been just as clear to the umpire at 2B. Either could have made that call without waiting for the PU if they saw it.

Quote:

The pitch at the knees that he called a ball was at the top of the front knee. It was in the zone at the corner of the plate as well. Of course it's a judgement call and he made the same call against Alabama that would have ended the game, but there were a couple of times that he called pitches that appeared to be in the exact same locations strikes.
I disagree. The catcher was pulling the pitch up and attempting to frame the pitch with the mitt inverted. The pitch, for this particular batter, looked like a ball to me.