View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=RPatrino]Folks,

Of course, the Bellarmine coach is ejected.

Bob maybe there's more exposure these days, but it seems as though no matter what level, coaches go ballistic when something like this happens.

Coaches in the HS and Collegiate level should keep their cool and should take a lesson from Socia of the Angels.

During last year's bizzare play Socia handled the incident with class. He went out, said his peace with the umpiring crew and went back to the dugout. He didn't lambash the umpiring crew in the post game interview. He was upset but didn't loose his cool. He concentrated on the "REAL" issue, the Angels were not hitting.

It's time for both High Schools and Colleges to start handing down stiffer penalties to coaches who go ballistic. A suspension and a Substantial Fine. When a coach goes ballistic what is he teaching his players? If all that happens in one's life is an umpire interference call or a bad call for that matter, they should "thank their lucky stars"

In addition IMO, the metal bat has ruined the game. I myself set-up in a deeper "B" / "C" slot then I would normally do if the teams were using wood. I almost "bought the farm" one day because it's difficult to react to a shot off of a metal bat.

Pete Booth