View Single Post
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
That has not been part of my pregame in the 32+ years I have umpired, nor do I expect it will ever be. Some areas teach that, some don't. I won't teach it, and won't use it. I don't personally believe that it is necessary to set the tone of any game with how to act when you disagree with a call. If a coach approaches the wrong umpire because he doesn't know any better, then (and only then) will I point him in the right direction.

If I have reason to doubt my call, I won't expect a magic combination of words; I will go for help. If I have confidence in my call, his magic combination suggesting I missed something would need to be somewhat supported as (at least) as possibility. If he just wants a second opinion, well, I don't really care, he isn't getting one.
I agree as well that no umpire should use that as part of his plate meeting with the coaches, for much the same reason that you have already stated. For some reason, when I am working with a partner that uses that speil, I cringe at the sound of the words.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.