View Single Post
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
2nd sitch (Fed rules). 2-man. Only one scoreboard working (behind White's basket). 6.5 seconds, Blue inbounding on its own baseline. I am Trail. Throw-in directly to post-player who immediately shoots (no dribble; just catch & shoot) and Blue makes basket and is up by 2. White grabs ball and immediately throws about a 35 foot inbound pass. While ball is in air (I am new Lead) I turn towards White's basket and notice clock is stopped at 5.0 seconds. As soon as White player catches ball the clock starts. White goes down and releases 3-pointer within last 1.0 seconds that goes in after buzzer sounds. Blue's coach is livid b/c he saw clock stop (my partner did not notice clock). We let 3-pointer stand, White wins by a point. I haven't look at rulebook yet. I did not have definite knowledge of how long clock was stopped. Even if I did have knowlege would I have any remedy for the situation? side-notes that have no bearing on situation other than the emotion of the game: quarter-final, loser goes home, 2 out-of-town teams, 5-OT (1st 3min, all other OT periods 1min)
Sounds to me like the timer stopped the clock after the made basket, for whatever reason.

We have this discussion every so often, what do you do if the timer screws up at the end of the game blah blah blah. In your play I think the best thing to have done is once you are certain the clock has stopped blow the whistle to correct an obvious timing error. In your case I think that would have been when the pass was still in the air. Then take off whatever amount of time you feel is needed. And before starting the game again go have a talk with the timer.