View Single Post
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
So, there is RUMOR that one or more AMLU umpires have accepted NCAA post season assignments.

How about some names, conferences & assignments? I can assure everyone that I will ask the individuals directly & post the information here.
Angel Campos - AAA umpire and Steve Fritzoni - AA umpire worked the JUCO Regional in California. There are others as well.

Look, I don't care that they probably belong to the assosciation, pay their dues and worked quite a few games throughout the regular season. According to the AMLU, they were not supposed to do that. As I said before, I knew that was going on and I looked the other way thinking well maybe there is a shortage of JUCO umpires in that area.

However, when post season came around and their were many amateur guys waiting to see if they were going to get picked, I hoped that the AMLU guys would have repectfully defered their selection so that the amateur umpire would get a chance. As I mentioned earlier, I don't blame the assigner because he's just looking for the best available talent. The Professional umpire is the one who supposed to say "thanks for the work you have given me this spring and while I appreciate you asking me for the post season assignment, I want to give one of the amateur umpires a chance." Unfortuneatly, this wasn't the case.

SoCalBlue1, it will be interesting to see the explantion you get and I look forward to your post. However, I really don't see any reason that would suffice. I think you'll find out that these guys, along with quite a few others, aren't waiting around for the AMLU leadership anymore. There are just looking out for themselves. With that said, now that our college season is almost over, perhaps the majority of D-I umpires (who did not cross before)will now need to do what's best for themselves.