View Single Post
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bob P.,

Thanks for the kind words. My limited experience with "sort of" umpiring has given me at least some appreciation for the truth of what you say about the challenge of umpiring in a real game.

The thing that has struck me the most is the intense focus and concentration required. Like the first time I had an R1 attempt to steal 2B and the catcher threw down. I believe I made a good call on the play at 2B, but then it slowly dawned on me that both teams were probably going to expect me to call that pitch that had just been thrown. And I couldn't even remember whether or not the batter had swung, let alone what the location of the pitch was. Not to mention the prior count or number of outs. It just kind of all went "poof" when I diverted my attention to the play at 2B.

I'm actually nuts enough to be considering moving over to the "dark side" and trying my hand at umpiring - either "fall ball" this year or spring next year. I would, of course have a lot to learn about proper mechanics & positioning and probably a lot of other stuff I don't even realize I don't know. Plus, I might really suck at it. But I am considering it.

JM