View Single Post
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

It's more than D1 and ex-pros that are doing games. Lower level college guys and even high school umpires are currently working. A manager from Clearwater FL was quoted the other day as saying that he had not seen all that much difference between the replacement umpires and the striking guys. True, that isn't AAA but still.....

It doesn't look like the gate has been hurt by the strike. So................. what does MiLB have to gain by further talks?

I did spring traing MiLB game here in FL and asked a number of players from rookie to AAA what was the biggest difference thay saw. You may be surprised that the comment I heard most was that we were "more approachable". For the most part we were all older guys - more mature - but maybe more importantly, having a ball doing these games. No attitudes, no having anything to prove. I've heard from guys doing the FL State League that they hear the "approachable" thing there as well.

At this time MiLB baseball does not "need" the striking umpires. These young men need to be carefull. This could carry on for some time (a year or more) or the union could find itself with no authority. Trust me, there will always be umpires that will call ball in the minor leagues. Their skill will improve as they do more games. As they do more games, MiLB will be less inclined to do ANYTHING for the striking umpires.