View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
This is going to totally confuse everyone, in other words, right?
So what else is new?

Quote:
MiLB has adopted them all. Great. But most of us do not work pro ball.

I think the big reason why we aren't discussing the new rules is because they haven't been advertised very much, and few people are even aware of them. Probably just us umpires who read online forums.
You mean us geeks.

Quote:
UMP25, they are in the Sporting News Rules, but they are not contained in the 2006 Official Rules Of Baseball (Triumph) book, which for some reason came with my rules packet this year, when normally I receive the Sporting News version.

So basically, my 2006 OBR rule book is worthless, if we are supposed to use the new rules?
From what I was told by two individuals in pro ball, one an ump and the other who works in the MLB office, The Sporting News edition is the "official" one and is usually the latest one to be published, mainly because TSN waits until MLB gives them the go-ahead, which is based on whether or not there are any rule changes.

I do know that for the last umpteen years, when our association places its order for TSN OBR books, we have received them in early to mid-March or so. This year, the association rate order form we use didn't even get sent to us until just recently, meaning the books themselves weren't generally available until much later than usual.